Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I put Borders out of business!!!

I love books! It goes deeper then just enjoying reading. I love how books feel, how they smell, how they can take you away! I love them so much that when I read them I don't dare crack the spine and you've got a better chance at hitting the power ball then you do catching me dog ear a page. It's like I form a relationship with each one and I give each a home where they will be safe and cherished forever. Because of how much care I take in reading books it often caused my friends to never borrow them from me because let's be honest... not even cracking the spine to read is kinda freakish.

It's because of how much I love books that I hadn't broke down and gotten an ereader and being part of a very gadgety family it was hard not to. How could an electronic device in the palm of your hand possibly make you feel the way a book does? I just didn't think it could. Plus I often joked with my husband that ereaders would eventually make bookstores and libraries obsolete. Aside from the economic impact of that think of the impact on my life specifically. I spend hours at Borders reading and drinking coffee as I browse through book after book. I could get lost in the stacks at the library (where the aroma of literature, ink on the aging pages, actually gives me chills). How could I possibly purchase an item that could jeopardize all of that?!?!?

But finally I decided to breakdown and get one. I my mind I would just keep it in the diaper bag loaded with a few novels in case of emergencies (like doctor appointments, long school pick up line, etc.). I did my research and by far the 3rd generation Kindle had the best reviews... so I ordered it.


I was told my Kindle would arrive in a week. This gave me exactly one week to fester with buyers remorse. What would I do with all my old books? Would I still read them in paperback now? What about new installments of some of the series I read? Do I buy new books on the kindle or keep them on actual pages? Also if I am going "digital" this would save space... so should I get rid of some of my once precious books that I don't plan to reread? As I literally pinned over all of this my kindle came... in only 3 days!!! (Thanks amazon.com for super fast shipping.)

At first I was hesitant. It was like bringing home a second dog. Will I love it like the first? Did  I only get it because I just wanted a new dog and would I still want it a week or month from now? I promised myself that I wouldn't ignore the old dog... I mean book that I was currently reading just because the Kindle arrived. A day later I bought the book I was reading on the kindle! This was exactly what I was afraid of. The kindle looks like a real page and feels so light and is so easy to just pop open and read I was almost instantly ignoring the old dog... I mean book.

And to make matters worse... the next day I got an email from Borders saying how they filled Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and were closing many locations (including the 3 closest to me)!!! I told my husband this and he began to mock me.

"Yeah babe, well you know the only reason they stayed afloat this long was because of you. In fact a board meeting was called the day after you ordered your Kindle. They basically said 'Well if Steffany is going digital then there is no point to going on' and decided throw in the towel".
Mister sensitive right? But seriously... if someone like me could go digital what hope was there for everyone else? What chance did the bookstores have? Especially with ereaders becoming so affordable?!?!  But in spite of my fears and apprehension I love my Kindle! It plays MP3s, has games and tons of free and cheap books. The features are crazy and there are just too many to list.

So while I can't force myself to not like the Kindle I will miss Borders and hope that Barnes and Noble will be ok without me and I am sure that I would never be able to forsake the library completely. And they should fear not... Even though my crafting and recipe books can be ordered digitally I promise to purchase actual prints of these and visit the library at least once a week. But as for everyday novels... well I don't think I can ever go back. I will have to try to console myself by making myself believe I'm being green.

Sure I'm not helping to keep bookstores open... but I am saving the environment. That's gotta count for something right???

2 comments:

  1. I am of a similar sort of situation.

    Right now I am borrowing my husband's Kindle (2nd gen BTW). So far I have been able to find ebook copies of many of the books I plan on reading (or in the process of reading, since I have a bad habit of reading 3 different books at one time) but I keep the paper copies around in case I want to read in the tub or my husband has decided he wants his Kindle back. Also some of the ebooks I have found (mostly pdf form) have been hard to read on the Kindle unless blown up (which that makes another situation with the screen).

    I still buy paper books, but I don't remember the last time I have paid full price for a book. If I don't find it at Goodwill, Salvation Army, local libraries or as a used book on Amazon, I do my best to stay patient with the books I already have.

    Also, even though I may have finished the book (whether in ebook or paper format) I still keep my paper book copies if I loved the book and especially if it is in hardcover format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still go to the library every week. I find that I keep my kindle in my bag so that I can have something to read whenever I am out and so I don't get bored...however, when I am, I just love holding my books!!

    ReplyDelete