Sunday, March 6, 2011

AMC Westshore won't be seeing me again!

Today we went to Westshore Mall for lunch at P F Changs and a movie at Westshore AMC.

P F Changs wasn't bad. I had the Moo Shoo Chicken and it was tasty but I've had better at fast food places. My kids and hubby all said the same about their meals but it was something different and since I've heard so many rave about it I'm glad we gave it a shot. I doubt we will go back because it was pretty much as good as other places but cost about 3 times as much but again... it was nice to try something new.

But as for the movie...I would like to warn any and everyone with a young child from going to Westshore AMC. I actually have a full list of reasons.

1. They charge $7 for a matinee ticket for any child over 2. This is an insane amount for a child so young if you ask me, especially for a matinee!

2. They do not have boosters so once you pay for the child they can't see the screen unless you hold them and even if you hold them their view is blocked.

3. The seats are also crappy for older kids. We had to move twice to find a spot where my 11 and 9 year old could see the screen since the seats (not even counting the people in them) blocked the lower portion of the screen.

4. The temperature in the theater was set at "Meat Locker". Basically we were freezing.

5. They are not very good about refunds after the first 15-30 minutes after the start time. With a start time of 3:30 and 15 minutes of previews that leaves only 15 minutes to leave the actual feature presentation.

6. The restrooms were disgusting. Many stalls were broken and there were no paper towels in any of the dispensers.

7. The concession is insanely slow.

So here's what happened. We got to the theater and purchased our tickets. I was appalled at D being charged but I let it go. We went into the theater and instantly I was cold in spite of my sweater. I realized this could be a problem for my family who were all dressed in "Florida Spring Attire" (shorts, short sleeved shirts, tank tops, sandals, etc.) Well, maybe they'd fix it. I'd ask. I had the kids sit in an upper middle row and James went to get snacks and I took D  for a diaper change.

Well in the restroom out of probably 8 or more stalls only 3 seemed to have doors that shut and locked and only one had a changing table. So we waited... and waited... and waited. Finally when the handicap opened up we rushed in and I changed D's diaper. I would have been worried about the other two still in their seats but figured since James was only 2nd or 3rd in line he would be on his way back  so I washed my hands and D's and hunted for paper towels but found none!!! There were several dispensers but all were empty. Maybe it's because the floor was littered with so much toilet tissue they assumed if we really needed to dry off we could use that. We all have to do our part to be green. YUCK! So drip dry it is.

We start to walk back with out damp hands and I ask an employee for a booster seat...  like the ones for kids at every other theater I have ever been to. The poor kid has to go ask a manager about them and returns to say "We don't have them... anymore." to which I reply with some confusion "Ok... why not?The kid shrugs and says "Not sure just don't". At this point I'm like Okay... What the hell did I pay for a ticket for if you can't even provide accommodations for a child? Well I'll just have to pray D stays in her seat. (I know this isn't gonna happen but I can hope.) But before I leave the kid to his adolescent fantasies about whatever it is 16 year olds fantasize about while taking tickets I add "Oh, by the way, it's almost unbearably cold in theater 14. Can you have that fixed?  I'd appreciate it" and he says "He'll see what he can do."

I don't see him move at all from his ticket taking post as I go back towards the theater. But as I pass the concession I see James still in line behind a lady who stood at an unmanned counter while the prepubescent theater employee worked very hard trying to figure out how to scoop popcorn into a bag. I walk up to let him know that I'm heading back in and he informs me that thisline has yet to move. Poor guy. Well don't forget the twizzlers!

When I get back to the kids (finally) I see a frustrated/disappointed look on their face. When I ask why they say that they can't see. Ok, I sit down to check it out and even I have some head blockage (this is when people noggins block your view) in the bottom of the screen so when I ducked down to Adrian's eye level I saw that his screen was about half blocked! Ok, we move to better seats... and then move again since the first move wasn't much of an improvement.

Finally in seats where everyone can see most of the screen we settle in and after a while James is back with snacks in hand. But at this point my joints are aching from the cold and the kids are not comfortable due to the temperature. I have come to the realization that it won't be fixed. I decide though that once the movie "Rango" starts we will be so enthralled by the animated masterpiece we will forget our discomfort.

Once again I am wrong. The movie wasn't very good if you ask me. If this flick can't keep my attention how could we expect it to keep D's. Throw in the cold and she couldn't sit still. After desperate attempts for 40 minutes I've had enough (and so did the other people in the theater I'm sure). I take our ticket stubs and leave the theater.

I go to the box office and explain that even after I asked for something to be done about the temperature in the theater we were just too cold to stay. I have a very disappointed and fussy toddler on my hip. The girl takes D and my ticket and reads them over and asks if I want to see another movie. I explain that I can't because the rest of the family is already in a theater toughing out the last one my husband bought tickets for. She says "Oh, your husband bought the tickets? Do you have the debit card he paid with?". I explain that he still has it in the theater... I also added he was towards the top of the theater hoping to play on some pity strings. No go.

Not many teens feel sympathy for a frazzled mom trying desperately to control a toddler who is crying about missing their movie and being cold. So I tote said toddler back into the theater, up the stairs and get the card from James. Once again she cries as we leave and is now begging to see Tangled! Yeah.. not happening. So back to the box office we go. But when I go to give her the card she says "The movie time was an hour ago. I can't refund you." Like this bleached little twit didn't know that before she sent me trekking back in?!?!? Ok, let's pretened that the peroxide has effected her brain and not flip out.

I must have had a look though because as she watched my face her mouth fell open and when I spoke it was a voice that almost didn't even sound like my own "Then that means I have tried for over an hour to put up and deal and I can't do it anymore." It wasn't a plea... and I hate to call it a threat but it was a fact. I could take D back in but with her screaming and crying they'd have a lot more people down here asking for a refund instead of just us two, who have up until now been pretty polite all things considered, do the math. Well, surprise of surprises, little ticket Nazi can add!!! She refunds my tickets.

I take D to the play area where not only did we both warm up but she had a blast. Plus once the movie was out we did a quick lap around the mall where I found this amazing giant ring with a green flower. It's just a big tacky piece of costume jewelery but it's awesome so the day was saved... but with no real thanks to AMC Westshore Theater.

(And let me say also that of all the AMC's I've been to this is the only one that I have ever really had an issue with. My pissing and moaning is about this one location that I probably will never return to and has no effect on the other locations. Live and learn.)

No comments:

Post a Comment