Sunday, March 13, 2011

Trying to turn my thumb green!

I love gardens. I adore plants and flowers. I marvel at the birds and bugs they invite. My problem is though... I can't grow anything. I have tried and I can't even get a Chia Herb Garden to sprout! But with two daughters who like me are enamoured of the outdoors and love looking and picking plants I have mustered up the courage to try again. I wouldn't say I am scared of gardening but I feel bad for killing everything. But I am going to try.

I bought some plant kits with bulbs that sprout in water. So far about half have grown! This is huge for me. Others out of the same kit haven't sprouted and I can't tell why but hey... half if awesome.

Also I planted an avocado seed. The seed came from the most delicious avocado I have ever tasted. It was yummy and huge and I wanted my own delicious avocados so I stuck toothpicks in it and stuck it in water. To date it is about three feet tall!!!

This is the avacado that gave me the seed I planted.


At this point I feel like I'm on a roll so I bought a little gardening kit and watering can and a strawberry plant kit which I haven't actually planted yet because of one thing... I realized that despite my enthusiasm I still had no idea what I was doing so I went and got this huge book on gardening (thank you to the Borders clearance).

Now I feel like I am fully equipped to tackle my gardening demons. I can't say I'll actually be able to turn my black thumb green but I will try and I figure as long as the girls have fun and don't get to upset when their flowers never bloom then it will be worth it right?

1 comment:

  1. My biggest suggestion is to make sure you've got the proper light for the plants. That and forgetting to water them are my vices. It's hard to find cute plants for low sun light, and right now, that's all I've got. I killed poor L's strawberry plant....she grew the dang thing for 3 weeks in Alabama, we get it home and it dies with in days....not enough sun according to my mom.

    ReplyDelete