Tuesday, May 22, 2012

B's Speech

Today is B's birthday. I am officially the mother of a teenager. But considering she doesn't generally behave like a teen I'm not worried about the parenting stuff that comes along with teenagers... yet. I have enough to deal with with this kid. But it's not all bad. In fact, it's mostly great. Especially with moments like we had tonight.

B goes to a school for special needs kids. Tonight was the awards banquet for the athletes. We enjoyed a nice dinner put on by the culinary arts students and then on to the awards. Each coach was called up to introduce themselves, their team and pass out awards.

Coach after coach went up. Student after student walked on stage, took their award and went back to their seat. But then B's coach, Coach D, was called up to the podium. On her way down the aisle B stopped her. I don't know exactly what she was saying to her coach but I had to pull her gently away and tell her to wait until after the ceremony. B said she wanted to thank her. I said that's nice but to wait.

When Coach D went to the stage she said a few words about the amazing cheerleaders and thanked the parents for their support. Then she called the first girl who got her award and returned to her seat. Next was B. B walked on stage, took her award from the athletic director and began to have a discussion. Coach D went on with calling the next girl and B walked behind the podium AND STOOD THERE!

Now every other kid just went up, took their kudos, shook a hand and sat back down. But there B stood. My mind was racing. Did she think she was supposed to stay on stage? Was she just confused? Hubby and I could only speculate as to what she was standing there for. We were both nervous and honestly a little scared. We tried to signal to her to come sit back down but she was smack dab in the middle of the stage and we were in the far back corner. So I did what any good mother would do... I whipped out my camera and ran video.

When Coach D was done the athletic director whispered to her and she announced that B would like to say a few words. I honestly thought she was going to announce to the room it was her birthday or something. I didn't know what was going to happen! Here is the video. Sorry for the poor quality. I hadn't anticipated a speech.


B gave an acceptance speech. It wasn't rehearsed. It wasn't even planned. It was however heartfelt. She thanked her friends, her parents and thankfully didn't thank the academy. Her teachers and the school staff along with all the parents and students listened and smiled as she went on. It was short and sweet and she walked off the stage to thunderous applause.

Now this school is used to kids not always doing what is expected. No one stopped her and everyone supported her. And I was so proud. Ok, it was totally scary. I was so surprised I literally laughed until I cried and the more I cried the more I laughed. I looked around and her teachers were laughing too.

B did ask why we were laughing and I told her it was such a pleasant surprise we couldn't hold it in.


I just can't convey in here our total shock and how hysterically funny it was to watch my kid be the only kid to decide to give a speech. But it made everyone feel good and I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. And I have a feeling people who were there will smile when they think about it.

So for B's 13th birthday she gave a lot of people the gift of a great memory.

B hugging her trophy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment