Friday, June 10, 2011

I'm so happy school is out!

Summer is here. Yesterday was tough. I sat through a 5th Grade "Graduation and Awards Ceremony". Having a special needs child makes these events painful. She got a medal for citizen ship but for the remaining 1 hour and 45 minutes she sat and watched all her peers receive awards for excellence in math, reading, writing, sports, art, music and more. She sat patiently and quietly and clapped when she was supposed to. But watching her and some of the other kids in her ESE (Exceptional Student Education) I wanted to jump up and scream.

Like these kids don't feel left out enough, like they aren't already aware of the fact that they struggle while others breeze through things, as if for one second they may have felt as part of a group let's make sure we show the difference between regular and gifted students and those with special circumstances. I'm not saying to ignore those amazing students who got honor roll, but would a "great effort" award for the kids who will probably never see an A be to much to ask? Apparently so.

At home this is tough as well. My son got Principals Honor Roll. It's a huge deal! That's all A's and perfect conduct! I am so proud but I can't get to carried away in front of B  over the grades because she just can't get all A's. I put a huge emphasis on behavior and in that she always is perfect at school but she can't be expected to get all A's when she just can't understand the material!

I can't wait until next year when she will be in a school that understands children learn differently and those differences should be embraced, utilized and praised. But as for now school is out and summer is here and we are all in need of a break from school. (Maybe me even more than the kids.)

No comments:

Post a Comment