Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Shoe Rules


As a women I have that gene that many women have that makes us crave footwear. I love shoes. I love stilettos, sandals, wedges, boots, sneakers and everything in between.

And like most women I often torture myself for a cute pair of shoes. It may be because the store is out of the size I need in those amazing platforms so I get a size smaller. Or my skinny calves don't match my foot size to to get a snug fit in that boot I squeeze my size 8 foot into a size 6. Or I get the right size but after about 15 minutes the straps and buckles start cutting into tender foot flesh or the shoe fits ok but the angle that the stiletto is making my ankle operate at is not safe unless you are a ballerina.

But still for a cute shoe I have been willing to suffer in silence... at least until I had the baby. I have decided that even though I love shoes they aren't worth the health of my feet.

So I have decided to go with comfort and if I can manage fashion too all the better. Here are my new shoe rules:
1. High heels will be under 2 inches tall. This puts less stress on the ankle and foot and ads to stability.
2. Higher heels will be worn in moderation and not for activities that involve a lot of footwork like walks, dancing, etc.
3. When buying a shoe I will shop at the end of the day since during the course of the day feet generally swell.
4. I will be sure to have about a thumbs width of space separating my shoe and toe to reduce pressure on my feet.
5. Flip Flops and sandals are not good support for feet. For lots of walking I will go with a walking shoe or something with sole support.
6. I am allowed to break these rules for special occasions.

Now all I have to do is stay away from the Steve Madden section and I should be ok... I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment