Tuesday, December 6, 2011

12 and Pregnant?

I had a rough day yesterday so this morning I decided to press on and MAKE today a good day. But when I go to check my emails I have this from B's teacher sitting in my in box: (I am changing the names of the involved parties)

Mrs. Steffany813
It has been brought to my attention by Jenny Johnsons mother that B has been telling her that she is pregnant and that Jenny should buy her a build-a-bear for her baby.  This was pretty shocking, I am hoping that this is just something she is doing for attention or perhaps that Jenny is confused, but I thought I should bring it to your attention so that you can discuss it with B and find out what is going on.

So I responded with:
Obviously it is not true but I will speak to her about this.

I know B isn't pregnant. It's not like I am a mom to some teenage girl who is too naive to even suspect she's having a sexual relationship. B is never in a place or situation where sex is possible, furthermore I am pretty sure she has no idea about the actual "how to". But getting this email is upsetting.

Additionally about 2 years ago I found out she had told a girl in her gymnastics class who told her mom, who told me B said she was going to have a baby. I assumed this was due in part to B not understanding what that really meant and  to the recent addition of D to our family. At any rate we had a talk about it.

Now this. At first it's laughable. I mean, she's registered at Build-A-Bear? But the other side is the thought she is intentionally lying to get people to give her things. And what if this is just the only case brought to the teachers attention and she has told others about this? So now I have to have a lecture on lying, on how making up stories to get things is the same as stealing, and sex! Ugh.

I am not sure how to handle it. I told hubby what was going and asked what he thought I should do and he said:
Not much other than have a serious talk with her about it. For a 3rd grader this thing is not a big deal. It's hard with B because she is both a 3rd and 6th grader.

So for now I have to wait to bring it up this afternoon.

I'm going to start by asking where babies come from and see what she says and how much she knows and move on from there. But I seriously don't want to have this talk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment