Monday, April 23, 2012

New Car!!!

I got a new car over the weekend.
Compared to my old 2002 SUV this thing feels like a space ship. It's all shiny and high tech. I have to quote one of my favorite mermaids:
"I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty
I've got whozits and whatzits galore
You want thingamabobs?
I've got twenty!
But who cares?
No big deal
I want more..."

Ok, so I don't really want more. I'm actually a bit overwhelmed by it as is.

I push a button and it starts up and the air kicks on while I'm still in the house. If I get in the car while already on the phone it automatically clicks over to bluetooth. It's got all sorts of buttons and I only know what about half of them do. But it is a HUGE step above my old car. It's brand new with all the bells and whistles you could want... and of course it comes with a car payment.

For all of you who gasp and think "Why did she finance it?" I'll tell you. Contrary to what you may think based on my wildly popular blog, my large social networking site and my designer impostor cologne and Coach Outlet store bags... I had to if I wanted a new car.

But here is the other side of the coin.... I didn't really want a new car. I had just paid my old car off last July. I initially wanted to take the car payment and shove it into savings where it could attempt to fatten itself up with the meager interest that accrues on the account. But that damn car payment disappeared!!! I can't tell you where it went. Since July of last year I expected to stuff almost $400 into the account each month. Now I haven't started making an extra $400 in purchases... in fact I have been spending less so I can't even guess where the money is going. One second it was here and the next it's gone.

But I digress. So I wanted to drive my older but still in decent condition 2002 until it literally died on me and save my money and for the next car buy a small, reliable, economical vehicle outright. Then with continuing to save I will "in theory" never have to finance another car again. But Hubby really wanted a new car so when he wanted to go "look" I knew we'd be coming home with a new vehicle. And we did. At least it's technically designated as my car.

Don't get me wrong... it's more then nice. It's a great SUV but now I am back with a car payment and I hate that. I was so excited to be rid of it. It goes to show that even the best laid planes can fail. So while I morn the loss of my very first lien free car title and deal with another car payment at least I get to travel in a damn nice ride... even if it will take until this cars paid off to figure out all the gadgets.

(Oh and as a pretty neat side note... when I bought my car I was entered into a drawing for a Kindle Fire and I WON!!! I have been wanting to get one for my toddler so she'd leave mine alone so I'm super excited. I would have preferred buying a Kindle and winning a car... but it's still pretty cool!)

No comments:

Post a Comment