1 lb lb Rotini Pasta (You can even buy the multi colored kind to sneak in extra veggies or grains)
1.5 lbs Italian Sausage (I use mild so the kids don't freak out), sliced to bite size pieces
2 14.5oz Cans of Hunts Diced Tomatoes (I like the Garlic, Basil, Oregano flavored)
12oz of Baby Spinach leaves (you can find them in the bagged salad section)
2 cups Mozzarella
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1. Heat a large pan with olive oil. Cook sausage on med high heat until browned.
2. Meanwhile bring water for pasta to boil. Cook pasta as directed on package (usually at a rapid boil for 8 minutes.)
3. Add spinach and tomatoes to sausage pan and cook tossing until spinach is wilted then remove from heat.
4. Drain pasta and add to sausage pan mixing it all up with the Parmesan.
5. I learned through trial and error that if you add the mozzarella before you serve the cheese gets very clumpy and strings so I like to wait until it's served up to add it but my dad likes it all gooey so when he is over I throw it in the pot just for him. Do whatever tickles your fancy.
6. Serve it up and enjoy.
For some variations you can also add onion, garlic or pancetta. I like to serve this with french bread or rolls and use olive oil and Italian seasonings on the bread. My kids think this makes the meal fancier. Sometimes they are so easy to please! LOL.